Accounting Team Leader / Senior Accounting Team LeaderAccounting Team Leader / Senior Accounting Team Leader
Job Opening ID:
Return to Previous Page
Tracing its roots to Thomas Edison himself, PPL Corporation has been empowering economic vitality and the quality of life for the communities it serves for nearly a century. The people of PPL Corporation provide reliable, safe, competitively priced energy to our customers and competitive returns to our shareowners. PPL has grown from a company with customers and facilities in one region of Pennsylvania to a diverse, super-regional energy company with more than 10 million customers in the United States and the United Kingdom, as well as about 19,000 megawatts of generating capacity from the East Coast to the Pacific Northwest. PPL provides energy for millions of customers while providing challenging and rewarding careers for thousands of employees around the United States and abroad. Be sure to follow us on Facebook Twitter
The core responsibilities for this incumbent is to lead the Fuel team within PPL Supply Accounting, accumulating and processing information to account for and report on fuel and fuel-related transactions, including wholesale and retail gas, petroleum products, emission allowances and financial instruments associated with each type of product. The position is responsible for realized and unrealized accounting in accordance with ASC 815 and 820 and other applicable GAAP. The position is responsible for both individual technical analyses of fuel and related transactions as well as developing team members to perform such analyses. The position provides formal supervision and guidance to Fuel team members including technical training, coaching and personal development. Develops team goals that align with and support Supply Accounting goals and ensures goals are met. A strong customer focus is essential for success as the Fuel team directly supports fuel procurement and fuel-related marketing functions.
* Directs Fuel team’s monthly close activities, including coordinating staff resources, information needs from financial and non-financial sources and systems in order to ensure closing entries are recorded timely and accurately, including:
* Review fuel team journal entries, ensuring completeness, accuracy and compliance with GAAP.
* Review fuel team account analyses, ensuring accuracy, completeness and sufficiency.
* Monthly accounting close of Fuelworx.
* Responsible for key analyses prior to monthly close meeting, including gas optimization, retail gas P&L, wholesale gas P&L and petroleum products P&L. Guides team members in performing these analyses and reviews work. Assists in other margin analyses as needed.
* Knowledgeable about general ledger (BMI) and closing process. Responsible for fuel-related accounting procedures.
* Direct and assist staff in preparing disclosures for SEC reporting and informational requests for Financial Reporting and auditors, meeting requested deadlines.
* Understand how physical and financial fuel and fuel-related transactions are used by business and the associated derivative and non-derivative accounting. Able to convey this knowledge to staff, Supply peers and participates in training sessions provided by Supply Accounting.
* Develop a deep understanding of how fuel and fuel-related information is recorded within applicable systems, primarily Aligne and Fuelworx. Able to convey this understanding to others and participate on teams that update or interact with these systems.
* Review daily reports of new trades prepared by staff confirming appropriate accounting treatment
* Review resolution of trading control deal disputes prepared by staff.
* Responsible for Annual IEC’s FERC Forms 2 and 6 and FERC Form 552. Responsible for selected monthly EIA 923 data.
* Responsible for developing and maintaining competent, highly motivated and effectively utilized staff.
* Responsible for developing and maintaining highly effective working relationships with various customer and support groups, including front office traders, trading controls and procurement functions.
* Commitment to continual process improvement.
Candidates must meet the basic qualifications to receive consideration.
* Bachelor's Degree in business discipline with at least three accounting courses and 5 years of accounting-related experience with progression to more responsibility and positions that require increasing technical skills OR Bachelor's Degree in Accounting with a minimum of 4 years of accounting-related experience and CPA or CMA certification.
* Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Master's Degree in Accounting, MBA, or other advanced degree in business discipline.
* 2 years of experience in public utility accounting, SEC reporting, and awareness of Sarbanes-Oxley requirements.
* 1 to 2 years of supervisory experience.
* Working knowledge of PPL's accounting systems, including BMI.
* Derivative experience, preferably involving energy-related transactions.
* Knowledge of Aligne or similar risk management system.
* Knowledge of fuel and related transactions, including coal, oil, gas and emission allowances, as well as pipelines, terminals and storage facilities.
* CPA or CMA certification.
* Requires proficiency in written and oral communication skills, as demonstrated by the communication of complex issues verbally and in writing. Also requires knowledge of Microsoft Office applications and databases.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PPL is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer dedicated to diversity and the strength it brings to the workplace - M/F/D/V
How To Apply
* Click on Apply Now button
* Upload a new resume or select one you previously uploaded, or cut and paste a resume from a Word document
* Complete the online application.
* Click the Submit button
You can save your electronic application and come back at a later time to finish; however, you must hit Submit to actually send your completed online response.
NOTE: Once you submit your online response, you cannot go back and edit your online response or resume, nor can you re-submit for the same vacancy.